JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK IT, IT DOESN’T MAKE IT A FACT
Do you ever get distracted by that niggly inner voice? The one that makes you over think EVERYTHING. Stressing over every worst case. Telling you that you can’t do something? That you aren’t good enough?
What about the 3am panic. The niggle that wakes you bolt up-right in a panic? I used to get these allllll the time and they take up so much space in your head that the niggles can often take over. If this sounds a little like you, here are a few tips to help wrangle that niggle down and drop-kick it away.
THE INNER VOICE THAT TELLS YOU THAT YOU’RE NOT ENOUGH
Ah, the voice of shame. The mean, nasty niggle that has nothing good to say and is your worst critic. It’s the pits. One minute you’re on top of your game, the next and you’re second guessing everything.
1. When it start to speak, I wan’t you to imagine the voice as high pitched and nasally. Something that is laughable and not in anyway intimidating.
2. Give it a funny name. Something that makes you smirk as the voice comes through. A nickname is completely acceptable too! For me, it’s the womble!
THE LATE NIGHT PANIC
It’s 3am and you wake with a start. It maybe something that makes no sense (you forgot to buy milk?!?!) or maybe it’s something specific. Whatever flicked your switch, it has you anxious and on-edge, throwing any chance of sleep out the window.
1. If this is frequent, have a note book and pen beside your bed and write it down. Don’t get upset, just take action and put pen to paper. This gets it out of your mind so you can focus on sleep.
2. Get it before it gets you! As you wind down, then spend 5 minutes writing down all the important things that you need to do the next day. A to-do list. That way you’ll be planning ahead!
THE WORST CASE SCENARIO
You find yourself saying no to everything because you play through all of the worst-case-scenarios that could possibly happen.
1. Go with it. Speak it outloud, and let it come out. Acknowledge it and move it along.
2. Breathe through it. Take 3 reeeeaaally deep breaths in... out.... slowly, calmly. Now, how do you feel. You are moving yourself into the present and not drifting into the future. Keep doing this (usually it only takes one/two goes) until you feel the nerves calm and you mind start to open freely.
These are little tips that you can use to try to re-train your mind. Pulling yourself into the now and consciously think about the fact that thoughts are NOT facts. Just because you hear the niggle doesn’t mean that you need to believe it - that goes for the meanest thoughts of all. In fact we often say things to ourself that we would never, ever say to our most hated enemies.
It’s time to change the voice, change the story and believe in you. Because you are amazing and guess what. You have actually got this!!!